Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Voters to decide on raising minimum wage

http://money.cnn.com/2014/10/06/news/economy/minimum-wage-state-elections/index.html

In some states (Arkansas, Alaska, Nebraska, and South Dakota) there will be a chance to vote for an increased minimum wage on Nov. 4th. Other states have also raised their minimum wage recently. The table below shows states that have increased their minimum wage, or are gradually increasing their minimum wage (see the asterisks). On the national level, the push for a raised minimum wage by Obama and the Democrat Party hasn't been very successful, but on the state levels (and local levels) we are seeing some changes. In the article it said that Seattle will be gradually raising their minimum wage to $15 an hour (to account for inflation), which will be the highest in the country. It is important to note that there are loopholes and exemptions that mean certain types of employees will not necessarily be receiving these higher wages.

state-minimum-wage-rising-b

I am glad to see the minimum wage is rising in many states. I think it is important that all workers earn a living salary, or at least a more livable one. It is important to note that although many states have increased, or will increase, their minimum wage, many have not. Utah is one of those states that has not raised the minimum wage. Most states have a minimum wage between $7 and $8, so yes it is good that some states have made progress, but until the minimum wage is increased on the national level, not all workers will benefit. You can compare minimum wages state by state here:
http://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-and-employment/state-minimum-wage-chart.aspx

Unit 2

9 comments:

  1. Nathan did a post on this also, several weeks ago. I said there, as well, that it just makes sense to raise the minimum wage. Adding all that money to regular circulation will improve the economy fairly quickly. Think of all the new tax revenue alone! Another fact: if you adjust the 1968 federally mandated miminum wage, the highest federal minimum wage in history, for inflation, you wind up $10.86 an hour. Raising the minimum wage at least to there is really only fair.
    -Liam Brookhart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't there a fear of inflation there somewhere? I totally agree on raising the wage. Corperations like Walmart really do an injustice. Really? The heck would you do with $35 million a year? I couldn't give that away in a year. I read a statistic that he makes more in an hour than his employees do in a year. Freakin ridiculous

      Delete
    2. Corporations just don't want to give up their big fat pay checks. I had a GM once that flat out admitted to me that he didn't really care what we did as long as we did well enough that he'd get his monthly bonus.

      Delete
  2. I agree with both of the above. I think that it is great that we are starting raise minimum wage and we need to increase it on a national level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't the national minimum wage lower than our current state one?

      Delete
  3. I was REALLY surprised to see that there was a minimum wage on that chart posted to this that was lower than our own here in Utah... how does someone LIVE on like 6 bucks an hour?? Oh wait... they don't!! Darn Minnesota:P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that as long as our nation has this kind of economy where things are really close to being priced the same or valued the same everywhere, that the Federal Government should establish a nationwide minimum wage that applies to all, leaving states out. The idea of states deciding their own minimum wages is like saying that they each run their own independent economies and systems (kind of like how it was meant to be under the Articles of Confederation... look how THAT turned out:P). At least 9 dollars nationwide. That's my call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A federal minimum wage will suck. They can't differentiate the cost of living in NYC to living in a small rural community. I'd like to see instead of a random dollar amount, a minimum wage tied to the cost of living in each area.

      Delete
  5. I like how the people can directly decide if they want a minimum wage with a referrendum. They can then bypass the legislature if they representatives won't represent the people.

    ReplyDelete